It’s December so I can official say CHRISTMAS! Whoop Whoop!
OK so now that’s out of my system I thought I’d share a few tips on how you can market your business on Social Media.
1. Decorate your profiles. Just like putting up the tinsel around your home you should also decorate your social media platforms and sprinkle a little Christmas magic over them too. Change your Facebook cover, add a hat to you profile on Twitter etc etc.
Something like this:
2. Share the Christmas joy. Create and share feel good content. Focus on family and children and good news stories. Ask people to comment about their favourite Christmas memory. Start a hashtag competition for a #SantaSelfie or #ChristmasTreeSelfie.
It doesn’t all have to be about sales. Post some funny Christmas memes.
Puppies. It’s about the puppies.
3. Don’t forget the food! Try share content about delicious Christmas recipes. Your audience will love the vibrant mouth watering images so don’t let them go hungry!
4. Offer Tips and Advice. Posts and articles like Best Wrapping Techniques or Christmas DIY Decorations are adored across Social Media. Why not get your staff to make your own office decorations! Video it, SnapChat it, Tweet it and Instagram it. If it goes terribly wrong, even better!
5. Create a special offer. Black Friday be a crazy distant memory but that doesn’t mean you still can’t offer a few discounts to help increase your impacts.
6. Remember to use festive text, images and colours like red and greens in all your Christmas content. Keep to shapes such as Christmas trees, ribbons, snowmen. Find images that have large open areas so you can add your own text. The plainer the background, snow for example, the better. This makes it easy to place readable text over it. A great free image editing and content creating software is Canva. Check it out here.
7. Use festive hashtags when tweeting and on Instagram. Examples: #Christmas #BuyFromAnSMEThisXmas #GiftIdea #WishList #LoveChristmas
8. Why not run a Festive Competition on Facebook. Share the love and offer a great prize to get everyone in the mood.
9. Don’t be fooled to think that your audience is going to take a rest from Social Media on Christmas day. In reality they’ll be browsing more than ever as their stretched stomachs rest on the couch and Aunt Mary snores in the corner after having one too many Baileys. So make sure to schedule a Christmas Day post! Use TweetDeck to schedule posts on Twitter or Planoly for Instagram.
10. Why not plan a long giveaway like a ’12 Day of Christmas Goody Giveaway’? Everyone loves free stuff after all! This will boost your interaction and engagement in the lead up to Christmas.
NB you can’t request for people to ‘Like’ or ‘Share’ your Facebook page in order to enter a competition but you can always say things like ‘We’d Love A Share!’
Your Social Media is a key part of your marketing strategy. Hopefully these tips will help you get into the Christmas spirit and have a successful Festive Social Media campaign.
This blog was written for Athena College of Ireland by our Digital Marketing tutor Denise Whitmore @SocialGeek_Girl. If you’d like any information on our Online Courses on Social Media for Business check out www.athenacollege.ie.